Thursday, April 21, 2011

patellafemoral


I've been forgetting that my hair is short. I know it has only been a day, but it's so short that I can't feel it on the back of my neck; I'm so used to having a ponytail everyday my head feels...odd without it, but it happens to be the same exact feeling as well you pull your hair too tight into a bun. I just forget that my hair isn't actually in a bun like it always was before.
Then I'll reach back to brush it behind my ear, and I'm still shocked that my hand is grasping nothing a mere 3 inches from my head, unlike the 14 inches I had at the beginning of the week. I'll catch a glimpse of myself in a window and there is a completely different person looking back at me.

I got to see two surgeries today. Two knees. The first one I wasn't actually supposed to go to, but when I told the lady at the front desk of the Surgery Unit which Doc I was with, who I was there to see, and what I was there too see; she said, "Well I don't know nothing 'bout that." Then a nurse/orderly/PA/person in blue scrubs came out, told me to follow him, showed me where to get my own scrubs and let me into an operating suite.
I tried to explain that the girl lying on the table was NOT the person I was supposed to see, but Dr. Gordon was in there and he told me my Marquette Track Girl was the next surgery and that I should just stay and watch the one that was starting then. I tried to insist that I really would just like to be taking the Track Girl's room, because I was supposed to be meeting Danielle there. But it was too late, the surgery had started, and Mr. Blue Scrubs was not going to take me anywhere. Mind you, I have never been in the Surgery wing of the hospital, only to Dr. Gordon's actual office (once) and the pharmacy (once). I'm was not about to go wandering out of the OR and get yelled at because I'm in a Sterile environment and I have not scrubbed up myself. So I watched the surgery. I kept getting told by the snotty ER Nurse not to faint into her sterile instruments. I didn't faint. I didn't even feel light headed when they were jamming scopes and tendon grafts and scalpels into this random girl's knee.
Two and a half hours later, surgery was over, and Mr. Blue Scrubs told me I could head to the lounge and get a drink before the next surgery, or go back to the locker room where I left my coat after changing into my own scrubs and booties and mask and cap. I said politely, "No, I really just need to be taken to where ever Track Girl is." So he looked annoyed I didn't just know how to get there and let me on a winding journey through doors and past equipment and more doors and surgical instruments.
When I finally got to Danielle and Track Girl, they told me about how they thought I had been abducted cause I texted Danielle when I left my house, yet never showed up to Track Girl's room. Apparently Nichole, David, and DPS had all been called, and they had only had someone figure out to tell them I was in the OR after they called the Emergency Room and asked if I was lying on my own table down there. Personally, I felt bad because they had worried. I felt silly for not bringing my phone to the OR with me, especially when all the other non-sterile people in there kept pulling theirs out. Mostly though, I was pissed off at the incompetent lady at the front desk who didn't even know which patients were checked into the department she was working, and at Mr. Blue Scrubs for shoving me into booties and the OR instead of just taking me to Track Girl and Danielle.
Then there was Track Girl's surgery, which was way cooler than the first one.
So, after 7 hours of standing and doing nothing but stand in one spot and watch a arthroscope screen, my feet and back are killing me. All I want to do get get food and take a nap.
But decided to go on an adventure with Lindsey instead, because that would have been more fun than sleeping, and I enjoy being not on campus. At the piercing place it was suggested I try surgical steal earings, and see if I react as... violently itchy... to that metal as I do to sterling silver. I would think not, personally, as surgical steal is the stuff they use in, well, surgical things. I would hope that the things they could possibly use to cut into my insides one day would not give me cracked, bleeding, swollen, itchy, hives the way earings do to my earlobes. Perhaps I will buy a pair and see how it goes. If well, perhaps I will get a surgical steal belt as well, as to not get the spider bite impersonation on my stomach.

Today was supposed to be a running day for me. It's too late to get to the gym now. And I really don't feel like doing anything. So I will take my long-awaited nap and then work on my physics report.
Ready. Break!

No comments:

Post a Comment