Friday, April 15, 2011

MA! The Meatloaf!

Name that movie?
10 points awarded for a correct answer.


Last night I made myself a real dinner. By that I mean the protein, grain, and vegetable where all eaten at the same time, not over a span of two hours like I usually do.
I made meatloaf from my Grandma Schaaf's recipe. It's the kind of recipe that calls for 1 lb of ground beef, oatmeal, onion, ketchup, milk, an egg, and two slices of soggy bread; the kind of recipe that states these ingredients MUST be mixed BY HAND in a large bowl; the kind of recipe that gives you three lbs of meatloaf despite only having 1 lb of ground beef in it. My grandma's family was poor-as-dirt for a while when she was growing up, so she learned how to make stuff like that work.
It didn't turn out quite up to Grandma-quality, probably cause I didn't have a fresh onion so I had to use dried, and I probably didn't use the right kind of bread. But it's still good, and it makes me happy that I now have the recipe for meatloaf.

2 comments:

  1. DUH WEDDING CRASHERS I ONLY YELL THAT AT MY MOM ALL THE TIME.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Wedding Crashers.

    Secondly, try it w/bbq sauce instead of ketchup and add worshestershire sauce (or however you spell that sauce no one knows how to spell). Delicious!

    ReplyDelete