Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Contamination


Every third week or so it seems I run out of EVERYTHING at the same time. Milk, bread, eggs, ground beef, chicken, rice... Anything that is non-perishable that takes me longer than one week to go through.
Sometimes, I get lucky and whatever I've just run out of is on sale. WooHoo! So I buy a lot of it.
This past Sunday it was chicken breasts. So I bought like 8 pounds of chicken.

Once, I just put the whole package in the freezer, for that is where raw meat should live. Then I got to deal with having a rectangular block of chicken rather than a single chicken breast when dinner rolled around. Like I said, I did that once.
Now, the first thing I do when I get home from the grocery store (after putting the milk in the fridge that is) is to take my lotsofmeat! and divide it up into single servings. For ground beef, this means dividing it up into 1 lb segments, because just about everything calls for a pound of ground beef.
With the chicken though, I trim off all the fat, cut up all the breasts into (what I hope is) a 6oz. piece, put all those segments in plastic baggies, and then all those go back in the freezer.

And the whole time I'm doing this, the only thing I can think to myself is "Man, raw chicken is fucking GROSS."

And then I have to scrub down my entire kitchen three times because I am afraid of getting salmonella. Lucky, my kitchen is a 3 foot by 5 foot rectangle.

No comments:

Post a Comment