Sunday, October 31, 2010


I miss my Lacydog. :(
She attacked everyone's shoelaces when she was a puppy (not the shoe, just the laces) hence the name Lacy.
She was a Cocker Spaniel/Sheltie mix, which I'm sure would have qualified her as a "designer dog" these days, but 15 years ago she was a mutt, and we got her - shots and all - from a Cocker Spaniel breeder for $20.
So she was our clearance puppy, and she hated everyone except my mom.
She wouldn't let you touch her, unless she felt the need to be scratched somewhere.
When my brother and I were younger, it was Lacy's job to wake us up in the morning. My mom would tell her "It's time to wake up the kids," and she would come hauling into our rooms and jump on the bed, lick our face a few times, and then start snuffling her nose under the pillow and blankets.
Lacy loved the snow when she was young. She's go outside and stick her nose in it, root around for a while, then come back inside with a white face and little snowballs stuck to the fur on her legs.

By the time we put her down, she was so sick it would have been cruel to keep her alive. She has stopped eating, so we tried giving her wet puppy food, hoping it was just her teeth that hurt from a bone she had gotten a few days before. That worked for about a day. Then she was back to not eating, stumbling around and into things, and tremoring when she laid still. So my mom decided we were not going to let our dog starve to death and took her to the vet.

I know Lacy didn't really like me. I didn't really like her either. But we got that dog a few weeks before I turned 5, and I don't have any memory of what it's like to not have a dog. It is so weird walking into my house and not having her be there.


(That's not her btw. But I don't have a picture of Lacy on my computer and that one is pretty darn close to how she looked.)

No comments:

Post a Comment