Friday, October 1, 2010

Broke down today.
Bought a new Brew (Marquette's campus cafe) thermos. (the cup part came apart from the thermos part of my other one about three weeks ago. Plus the lid was warped from being put in the dishwasher at home, so it leaked).
Bought some coffee.
Put cream and sugar in it.
Took a sip and...

ohhhh gooooddddd. It's so good.
hmmmm.yum.yum.yum.yum.

Usually I wont drink coffee unless it's already there. Like at home, I'll pour myself a cup in the morning if someone else has already made a pot. Last year, I would get a cup at breakfast because it was always in the dining halls and therefore free with my meal plan. I kind of feel like a traitor to my trying-to-be-super-thrifty self by buying a cup, but I needed a new mug to bring tea to class in (my mom always sends me chai tea in my care packages!). And if you buy a Brew Mug, coffee is only $0.25. I can handle a quarter. I know I've found at least $2.00 by paying attention when I walk somewhere and picking up all the change I see. People laugh at me for getting excited over a penny, but I think I've probably found over $10 in the last three years here. The way I see it, if it's $10, $.010, or $100; that's money I DO NOT have to take out in a student loan, and money I'm NOT in dept when I graduate.

Stupid student loans. I wish I didn't have them. Although the other day David showed me an Excel spreadsheet he made to do all the calculations on how long/how much he'll have to pay to get ride of the mortgage on the condo he bought when he moved out here. I put in what I think my student loans will be up to when I graduate (going off the last two years, I'm looking at about $27,000 by the time I graduate), and in order to pay them off in the 6-month period I have until they start gaining interest, I'll be devoting 3 of my paychecks a month to them. This is assuming that I am making $45/hour working 40 hours a week, that Drew and I are living together, using his income to live off of, and using my income to pay bills and put into savings. But you know what? That's possible. Really, truly, actually possible. Assuming Drew works 40 hours a week also, and god knows what he'll be doing at that time, but I'm going to say he's making $15 an hour, we'll still have $3000 a month income. That's after food, after rent, after insurance, after whatever. It'll be even more if we live in my parent's basement for a year and they charge us super cheap rent. That's $36,000 saved up in a year! Plus whatever Drew comes in with, he says he's putting some % of his paycheck every month into a 401K for when I graduate.
Thinking about these things makes me excited for my real adult job. It helps remind me of why I'm in Milwaukee and makes the time more bearable.
I think I've given this more thought than he has. We still have four years to figure it out, so I'm sure he sees it as something to not worry about yet. I like to worry about everything.

Oh! I have to go to class.

No comments:

Post a Comment