Monday, September 28, 2009

Putting off Philosophy

Lack of weekend pictures = I was home!!

Flew home on Friday night, went to see Flogging Molly, slept till noon and woke up in Drew's arms on Saturday, went to dinner, saw Matt Jill Rachel and Brian, saw Brandon Jase and Tank, got a "talking to" from my dad, sat around the airport watching my flights be delayed longer and longer, and got back to school on Sunday to find I HAD MAIL!!


Not just any mail either. That pink slip of paper means I have a PACKAGE, which is probably the most exciting thing that happens to me while I am away getting myself a education. Even beyond all that, I just got a package from my parents last week so I know this package can't be from them. I don't know of anyone else who sends me stuff, and I didn't order anything, so I can only come to the conclusion that this is indeed a mystery package.




My parents are having a very hard time accepting the fact that I am somewhere in the middle of the shift between being Steve and Peggy's Daughter and becoming Michelle the Physical Therapist/Athletic Trainer/Adult/Andrew Owens's Wife. They keep saying that they know I'm 19 and Drew means a lot to me but it's not ok to spend so much time with him or sleep over at his house, bla bla bla. I tend to ignore this speech, because A) I would probably listen if they could be adult and confrontational about it and B) I did not come home to see my parents, I went home to spend as much time as humanly possible with my boyfriend and to see the Flogging Molly concert.
I wonder just how much of a nasty shock it would be to them (and going to be if the topic ever comes up) to know that Drew and I would be engaged -if not already living together- if I had decided to stay in the state and go to the University of Utah instead of Marquette. Probably even well on our way to being married this upcoming summer even.

I do honestly wish the relationship I had with my parents was better. I think there are things we could all do to improve that, but the personality of my family makes it nearly impossible to do so. We never really talk in my family, mostly because no one ever has anything to say. We also have a tendency not to express feelings in my house, I'm not sure why, which makes it hard for me to explain how strongly I care for Drew. But growing up with that kind of mindset left my family non-confrontational and with a tendency to not discuss important things, such as the daughter's relationship. The opinion my parents have of the man I am in love with causes my opinion of them to be lowered greatly. So much so, that there are days, weeks, months, at a time where I truly believe that there will be a point in time were I no longer talk to them. This makes me sad, for as much as I do not like my parents most of the time, they are still my mom and dad, and I still love them. I also actually do LIKE the extended family that comes with; my cousins and aunts and uncles and grandparents. I would like my children to have grandparents on their mom's side of the family, and I would like my parents to have a part in my kids' lives. But there are days when I really wonder if that will even be possible, and then there are the days where the thought doesn't even bother me.

How very unfortunate.

Also I've decided to be a cave woman 3 days a week. There's all sorts of unhealthy things avaliable all the time at school, and if I do want to get down to 135 I need to stop eating ice cream for lunch.

Annndddd.... I need to do Philosophy.

2 comments:

  1. Mystery package? Cool. As a caveman myself, let me say that you do not need to diet. Stop being so hard on yourself. You look nice. Also, parent drama is the worst, I live it daily, I'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually the real reason behind it is I have a cold so I feel like I should make sure I eat super healthy cause I'm still not up to working out everyday like I usually do. Also I'll get better faster the more vitamins I'm eating.
    Plus, I've made myself a cave under my semi-lofted bed, which is fun. :)

    ReplyDelete