Monday, September 7, 2009

Chicago

My roommate, Dallas's family decided that sense they did not come to Milwaukee and drop her off at the beginning of school, they were going to come up to Chicago for Labor day and she would take the train down to meet them. They were nice enough to invite my lucky self to tag along. So there were a lot of firsts for me this weekend: First time riding a real train, first time in a city with sky scrapers on more than two streets, first time on a subway, all the stuff that I have been denied growing up in Sandy and Draper, UT. It was very strange to see buildings as big as they were go on for so long. Even weirder to think whole families live in apartments right downtown; of course, Dallas's family (from Houston TX) thought it was weird that people don't live in downtown SLC and apartment building are usually only 3-5 stories tall.

Sunday was by far the coolest day there. First, we got up and went to the Museum of Science and Industry, which is huge. They had a whole floor dedicated to the German U-Boat 505 that we captured in WWII, which was pretty cool to see. There was also an exhibit on technology they are working on for the future, trains, baby chickens hatching, a genetics lab, space, a toy factory, and Colleen Moore's Fairy Castle. It's an 8'7''x8'2''x7'7'' enchanted castle doll house that this silent film actress started working on in the 30's. The Grand Ballroom chandelier is made completely out of diamonds and emeralds, and the chairs in the Prince's bedroom are made out of Platinum. It was pretty freaking sweet.
Oh, and there was the Harry Potter Exhibit, where they had a bunch of costumes and props (including everyone's wand and the Goblet of Fire) on display. I know actors are short, but I didn't realize they were as tiny as they are. 11 year old Harry would have come to somewhere between my elbow and shoulder, and my waist could have fit into Hermione's Yule Ball Gown MAYBE when I was about 10. Yes, I was totally geeking out the whole time I was in the exhibit.
THEN!!! We went to see Blue Man Group. Which was epic, and awesome, and fun, and hilarious, and pretty much the coolest thing I've seen in a long time. [except my boyfriend, but he's automatically my favorite]

Umm.... Pictures?
One for each day I was gone of course.


1 comment: