Wednesday, January 26, 2011


Hurray for further expanding my basic medical knowledge! We're currently learning about the heart, and a disorder called Sudden Cardiac Death. That's right. One minute you are fine running up and down the basketball court, the next minute you have dropped dead. In most cases, this is due to something being structurally wrong with the heart. The only problem is that in about 85% of the cases, DEATH is the first symptom (this includes no family history of heart problems).
It's kind of scary stuff. I hope I never have to put the skill of using an AED to the test.
Tomorrow in lab we are listening to each others' hearts! I'm excited for this lab, I love the way a heart sounds!

I called my mom to ask her about my dad's heart (he has Mitral Valve Prolapse which occasionally causes an arrhythmia with heavy exercise) and when she answered the phone my mom is all "MICCHHHEEEELLLLLLEEEEE!!!!~~!!!~!~!~!" and in the background I hear about 7 other women going, "Oh it's MICHHHEEEELLLLLEEEE! MICHEELLLLEEE!! MY BEEELLLLLLLLLLL!!"
Ummm... apparently once a month a group of 50-ish women get together eat dessert for dinner, drink a little bit too much wine, and call it "book club."
But my mom also told me that I should start coming to book club this summer because some of the other ladies bring their daughters and she wants to show me off. Which is fine. I'll let everyone know how big of a deal I am and get tipsy with my mom's friends. Maybe it will like, improve our relationship, or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment