Tuesday, February 1, 2011


I love that tonight and tomorrow's one-word weather description is "Blizzard."
I love even more that due to this impending "Snowpocolyps" (no, I did not make that up) I GOT A SNOW DAY TOMORROW.
Fuck. Yes.
Cause you know what that means?
No fucking physics.
You know what else that means?
I will be going to Nichole's house around 11pm tonight, getting hammered, and watching SLC Punk, sleeping over on her comfy couch, and then making pancakes in the morning. Irresponsible underage drinking for. the. win.
My classmate Carrie is a lucky duck. Her 21st birthday is tomorrow and now she can actually have fun going out tonight. Do I wish I could go out with the rest of my class because I am one of three not 21 yet? Sometimes. But then I remember they will be stumbling around in the blizzard (lawlz) tonight, and I will be in LAS VEGAS in five months. I can wait. :)

Looking out my window I don't know if it's even snowing right now, but it's very, very windy, so I think it's just blowing what has already fallen around.

Today I got in trouble for something that happened in the training room that I was not a part of. In Iowa, one of our sprinters cramped up really bad during a race. I took care of her there, and was planning on telling Danielle (My CI and the head track and field AT) about it, in person, on Monday when I went into the training room.
Monday: Dave, who was the certified at the meet last weekend, was already in the training room when I got there yesterday, and had already told the sprinter to put ice on her hamstrings for 15 minutes. Danielle was not in the training room at the time I walked in, but got in about 10 minutes after I did. At this point in time, we talked to the sprinter about what happened at the meet, Dave told Danielle that he put his eval of her hamstrings into our computer database. Danielle and sprinter go to talk to the head coach about sprinter not being at practice. Danielle and sprinter come back. At this point in time, I am working with another athlete. Danielle takes sprinter through some rehab, which includes heating her hamstrings and some exercises.
Today, I got an email from Dave saying I should have sent Danielle an email on Sunday telling her about said sprinter. And he's right, I should have. But then he went on about how *I* was having an athlete ice (um, no... *HE* was having the athlete ice when I got there) and how *I* should have told Danielle what Dave's eval and plan for the sprinter was (which he did not tell me and I assumed he told Danielle when he was talking to her when she got there) and how *I* should not let an athlete bully me into getting the treatment she wants and how *I* should have never put heat packs on right after icing. And how it was *MY* fault that all this happened because I did not email Danielle or tell her when she got into the training room that the sprinter had ice on.
Ok...
First of all, yes, I should have emailed Danielle. My bad.
Secondly though. Danielle WALKED IN WHEN THE ATHLETE HAD ICE ON. WE TOLD HER THE ATHLETE HAD JUST ICED BECAUSE DAVE TOLD HER TOO. I guess I was wrong to assume DANIELLE KNEW THE SPRINTER HAD JUST ICED HER HAMSTRINGS.
Third, it is not *my* job as a student to pull Danielle aside and tell her, "Look, Dave did sprinter's eval before I got here and he didn't tell me what his assessment was but he's having her ice." That is Dave's job to relay.
Fourth, I had NO involvement in the athlete's decision to heat. That was 100% Danielle's (a Certified Athletic Trainer and the person I am working UNDER) decision and it happened while I was with another athlete. Danielle said she did not know why Dave had the sprinter ice and did not tell the sprinter to stop heating.

Dave said to call him if I wanted to talk about his email. I would like to put out my side of the story, but I need to figure out how to do so in a non-whiny way. Also, I'm afraid to call Dave, calling him would be weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment