Friday, November 5, 2010

Last Saturday, I was at the grocery store, and the cheapest from of lettuce was collard greens. So, obviously, I bought that instead of regular roman lettuce.
Well, it turns out that collard greens just by themselves are really fucking gross.
But I'm not going to throw away food that isn't bad, and collard greens are supposed to be really good for you anyway. I let it sit in the bottom drawer of my fridge for a few days while I tried to figure out what to do with it.
Then I remembered Coach B telling us how much he liked cabbage soup, because he ate it all the time as "a lad." (Coach B is from England). But in America, we call English Cabbage COLLARD GREENS. I figured I could try to fly on my coat-tails again and make more delicious soup.

And I did! :)
Just cut up all the greens into big and small chunks, cut up some carrots, some onion, and put it all in a pot with some water. Added a pinch of salt and a sprinkle of pepper, generous amounts of garlic powder, threw in some chile powder and some dried basil. Let it boil until the greens were soft and and the carrots soft-ish.


Just for fun, collard greens go from a really cloudy green when raw to a really nice vibrant green when cooked.

I have a ten-page religion paper to write. I have no idea how I'm going to do this. I'm not worried about time, it's not due for three weeks, but how on earth am I going to come up with TEN PAGES OF RELIGION?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment