Monday, December 6, 2010


Over the past four or so years my attraction to the Catholic religion as a whole has been fading away. They promote things I don't believe in and tell me I'm going to hell for things I don't think are wrong.
But I still won't eat meat on Fridays during lent.
I pray with my family before dinner when I'm home.
I go to church and *try* to pay attention when my mom asks me to go.
And the realization that I might not be able to find a Catholic priest who will preside over my wedding in a Catholic church is terrifying to me. A Catholic wedding is something that I've had a doubt about, and anything else, to me, just seems like it would lack something. Some blessing from an authority higher than the Justice of the Peace or the little slip of paper that says I am married or the ring on my finger. I could walk up to any couple on the street and say "Oh hey, you're married, move your ring to the other finger, here's a certificate I made in MS PAINT for you. Cheers." And it wouldn't mean anything. That couple wouldn't be married.
Plus, Catholic Churches as so pretty.

I'm also getting my children baptized, their First Holy Communion, and Confirmed. When they are 18, they can make their own choices about religion. It's the route my parents took with my brother and I, and I think it worked out ok.

1 comment:

  1. Do both parties have to be Catholic to get married in a Catholic church? That would suck. I never really considered that before. Probably because I am not actually Catholic, but I usually forget that...

    ReplyDelete