Tuesday, December 1, 2009


There is something about doing my own laundry that is very satisfying to the OCD part of me. I know $3.50 every two weeks for a load of darks, a load of whites, AND drying isn't that much money... but I would still rather not have to pay to have clean clothes. Being able to set a full basket on the counter in the laundry room and find it full of clean -and folded- clothes at the top of the stairs two or three days later was something I took for granted at home. I take a lot of things for granted at home. Like not worrying about my chicken still being pink in the middle and being able to go for a run at 9 o'clock at night.

Speaking of running, I fear I am falling apart from the waist down. Both my ankles bother me from being sprained and not taken care of correctly, my achilles tendons are tightening and hardening (they should be soft and stretchy), my left kneecap occasionally grinds on femur when I go up the stairs, my IT-bands are getting so tight you can feel the ligaments under my skin (not good), and my hips always hurt.
As I am not an athlete at Marquette I can't go to the training room and ask someone to fix me like I could in high school. As an Athletic Training Student I feel like I should be able to fix myself, but it seems like all I've learned so far is how to figure out WHAT is wrong and WHY, but not HOW to fix it.

More and more often I wonder what I am doing in Milwaukee, what I am doing at Marquette, what I am even doing in this major. More days than not I feel like I don't belong here, but I've already put $36,000 into my education (or my parents have)... that's quite a lot of money to throw away by transferring schools. Not that I even know where I would go or what else I would study.

2 comments:

  1. First off, thank you for the cheese!! Delicious!!

    Secondly...um, ouch. I always hear that running is bad for your joints and such...maybe you can find some advice and how to treat it?

    Thirdly...college is hard. It's hard to wonder if you're doing the right thing or not.

    HANG IN THERE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only two weeks until Christmas Break, man!!! You'll make it. :)

    And I am not the best at giving advice, but I am pretty sure that you are just feeling the end-of-semester burnout from classes, so don't get stuck on that! It's tough when you are just sick of your classes and your schedule, yet this is the time when you have to be the most focused on them. You are at Marquette because you will be that cool high school AT that fixes shit like nobody's business, and you will be that PT who says to your patients, "I don't care if you don't want to walk across this room. I know you can do it so you damn well will." At least that is how I envision Adult Michelle Rueckert. :)

    ReplyDelete