Friday, October 16, 2009

Marquette Madness!

Marquette Madness is essentially a pep rally on steroids to mark the beginning of Basketball Season. It's kind of like our version of homecoming, as we don't have a football team to get excited about.

Sorry about the bad quality of this picture. It's taped up on my wall, the lighting in our rooms is pretty bad, and I haven't yet figured out the photoshopping ability of iphoto (or iphoto at all for that matter).

Anyway. The tallest person on the team this year is Youssoupha Mbao, who is a freshmen from Dakar, Senegal. He is SEVEN FEET TWO INCHES tall. I thought Drew was tall till I saw Youss, then I just though "That is a whole lot of person there." The shortest person on our team is Maurice Acker, a senior from Illinois. He is only five foot eight. It is beyond fantastic when the two of them stand next to each other.

There are four guys from Texas on the team this year, one from Toronto, and one who is originally from Venezuela (but technically came from New Jersey). It's good to see that some people are actually from somewhere outside the Midwest.

Yesterday I realized that my bad mood as of lately is due to the fact I have only run once in the past two weeks. I'll have time to go this Sunday, which will be really nice. I'm thinking a nice 6 mile cruise.

But tonight made me realize something too. I became aware of how fully I depend on sports in my life. Over the past month and a half, I've only been to one soccer game. ONE! I'm going to be an Athletic Trainer, I need to be around athletes doing their thing to be happy! After watching the volleyball team crush Georgetown, and the men's and women's basketball teams be introduced and scrimmage, I am in a notably better mood than I was this afternoon. As they were walking onto the court I just got so pumped up and excited and emotional about this who college thing. I don't really know how to explain it; knowing that people see Marquette Basketball and know it's a big deal, and that they are impressed to find out I go to Marquette University.

For the first time since I got here, I am undeniably PROUD to say:

We are Marquette.

No comments:

Post a Comment